Sunday, December 12, 2010

#19-20

#19 Killer Pizza by Greg Taylor

Last year, when I had the privilege to attend the National ALA conference (American Library Association), I couldn't get away from this book! People were talking about it everywhere, and I knew I had to read it. Well, I finally did. I really enjoyed it and have already recommended it to some of my boys. Don't let the title fool you...it's not what it seems. If you know a young boy reader into zombies and monsters and other things that go bump in the night, or if you were a Goosebumps fan back in the day, this may be just the book for him or you! Entertaining, often funny, and overall enjoyable!

Toby Magill is 14 years old and finally has his first summer job - a cook at Killer Pizza. It doesn't take long for him to realize this is not your typical pizza place. In fact, it's hardly a pizza place at all; it's a front for a monster-seeking organization intent on ridding the world of monsters. Toby has to decide if this summer job is for him or if he should find somewhere new to work.

#20 A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron

Toby/Bailey/Ellie/Buddy is a dog trying to fulfill his purpose in life. He is reborn into different dog lives all the while searching for his reason for living. Each life he is born into teaches him important lessons that will serve him in the future. Even though the love for "his boy" Ethan is stronger than any other human bond, he is determined to do what he can for each life he touches.

This book touched my heart. Cameron put into words what I've often wondered about my dogs. How do they know when we are upset? How can they sense when something bad is about to happen? What goes on in their heads when we are talking to them? How much of us do they understand? I believe humans do not understand all there is to know about dogs, and this book brings more of those ideas to light. This is one book that I know will stay with me for a long time. I recommend it to all my fellow dog lovers. You may never look at your pet in quite the same way again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment? Leave a comment!