Tuesday, February 1, 2011

#33


#33 Black Duck by Janet Taylor Lisle

Seeing as how this book was a Texas Lonestar book, I am surprised I hadn't read it sooner. I picked this one up to preview for a possible literature circle title for my sixth graders. I was hoping it would appeal to my boys and include opportunity for great historical research as well. It does! And I admit that I cheated just a little. I found this on CD at the library and listened to it going to and from work. But honestly, what a great use of time!

This story is set in present day with flashbacks to 1929. Rebuen Hart and Jeddy Mackenzie live in Rhode Island during Prohibition. One day Rebuen and Jeddy find a dead body on the beach, a man who was shot in the neck and washed up on the shore. They assume he was a rum runner. When they return later in the day with the police to take him, the body has disappeared. Pretty soon, the two boys are accused of taking an important item from the dead man and end up in the middle of a liquor smuggling battle. Jeddy's father is the police chief and both boys have to decide if it's more important to follow the law or watch out for your friends.

I think my kids will enjoy the story and all the rum running and liquor smuggling will be fun to talk about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment? Leave a comment!