Saturday, October 16, 2010

#1-11

#1 Fat Kid Rules the World by K.L. Going
Powerful read. A teenager named Troy is overweight and depressed. He has no friends, doesn't get along with his brother, and doesn't know how to change his life. He meets Curt, a homeless boy who believes Troy can play the drums and be a part of his rock band. While they work to make the band happen, Troy discovers that he does have something to offer the world and can make a difference to other people.

#2 Roses by Leila Meacham


Don't let the cover and title fool you. It's not all about love and fru-fru stuff. This book follows rival Texas families through generations of warring and sparring and love and I enjoyed it. I like long books that really introduce and explain the complexities of families. And yes, the title is important to the story and yes, you do have to read it to uncover the meaning.

#3 Suck it Up by Brian Meehl

Okay, I admit to a fascination with vampirey stories since reading Twilight, and that's why I picked this book up. It was also a Texas Lone Star book for those interested in award winning titles. The cover actually grosses me out, but I couldn't resist reading it. So, our orphan vampire hero is Morning McCobb, a vegan vampire who drinks Blood Lite. Morning has been chosen to "come out" to the human race and show them that not all vampires are bad and most want to fit in and be loved just like everyone else. He attempts to do this with the help of a New York City PR director and her daughter. I was not ga-ga for this book, but did enjoy it enough to recommend it to others. Edward is still my main vamp...

#4 The Maze of Bones by Rick Riordan (39 Clues Book 1)

39 Clues series...very cool. This series of 10 titles features a different YA author for each one. And yes, by the end of the series, readers are promised 39 clues to the greatest treasure in the world. Siblings Amy and Dan are given the choice of receiving a million dollars from their deceased grandmother or take the first clue in a series that will lead them to a long-lost treasure. Along with other scheming family members given the same chance, they begin an international treasure hunt taking them through many adventurous twists and turns.

#5 One False Note by Gordan Korman (39 Clues Book 2)
In this book, Amy and Dan make their way to France, Venice, and Salzburg and learn about the life of Mozart and his music and how it all ties into the 39 clues. These books are so well written, that it's hard not to believe the historical facts included. I almost believe that Mozart was part of the treasure hunt and his music provided clues for the Cahills! Love it! And I'm sorry, but who doesn't love a Gordon Korman book anyway?

#6 The Sword Thief by Peter Lerangis (39 Clues Book 3)
Amy and Dan find an alliance in Uncle Allistair Oh, but should they trust him? This book takes the kids to Japan in a search for an ancient sword. There is underground travel, ancient relics, and dodging other scheming family members of course. Another win!

#7 Beyond the Grave by Jude Watson (39 Clues Book 4)
Do you get into Egyptian history and archaeology? Yes? Well, so do the characters in this book! Amy and Dan end up in Cairo (among other places) in this adventure. Did I mention one of their family members is an ex-KGB spy with poisonous fingernails? I didn't? Well, she's in this one and adds a great element of excitement to the book. Read on!

#8 According to Jane by Marilyn Brant
Highschooler Ellie Barnett is introduced to Jane Austen when assigned Pride and Prejudice in her English class. She also discovers that the voice of Jane Austen also comes with it. Yes, the ghost or entity or persona of Jane Austen somehow becomes Ellie's full-time companion helping her make decisions about life and love. (Sidenote: Ellie ends up as a librarian after college...sweeeeet!) I loved this book and have been inspired to read more Jane Austen titles and other books about her. Be looking for more of them reviewed here!

#9 The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan (The Kane Chronicles Book 1)
Okay, I cheated a little bit with this book. I didn't actually read it. I checked out the CD version and listened to it. Does that still count? I say yes, and this is my book challenge. I realized I am in my car for nearly 2 hours a day driving to and from work. Why waste that time? I can say that listening to the book did not detract from the work in any way. I mean, what can you expect from Rick Riordan? He's awesome! Sadie and Carter Kane are brother and sister but have grown up in very different ways. Carter and his dad Julius, an Egyptologist, have spent years traveling around the world while Sadie has grown up with her grandparents in London. They reunite once a year and this time, they discover a bit more about their father than they ever expected. On a trip to the British Museum, Julius destroys the Rosetta Stone, summoning Egyptian gods while getting himself banished in the process. It's awesome! Now Sadie and Carter have to work together to find their father while trying to understand their own connection in this crazy Egyptian power adventure. I enjoyed this book a great deal more than Riordan's Percy Jackson series (also awesome). He allowed himself time to really build the characters and take the audience along on a fast-paced adventure. I can't wait for book 2 in the series! So, if you enjoy Egyptian mythology, or like me you didn't know anything about it and found it all fascinating, you'll love this book!

#10 What My Mother Doesn't Know by Sonya Sones


I believe Sonya Sones is brilliant. How many people can effectively create an entire story and deep meaningful characters without the use of prose? She uses only verse and I never felt like I was missing out or not getting the entire story. This book is told from the point of view of Sophie and her experience as a freshman in high school. For those of us having already experienced our freshman year, we can all remember that a great deal happens in high school. This book is one of the most honest I've read about that experience. Sophie is dealing with friends, parents on the brink of divorce, boyfriends, her own changing body, and the judgments of those around her. Sophie has to decide what is more important to her: pleasing her friends and fitting in, or doing what she knows is best and makes her happiest. An awesome read!

#11 What My Girlfriend Doesn't Know by Sonya Sones

Another incredible story, again written in verse, continuing Sophie's story. This book is written from the point of view of Robin (or Murphy as he's referred to in school). I won't tell you how Robin and Sophie know each other, but I will tell you that I loved seeing the other side of the story and hearing the voice of a boy telling it. I found this story just as incredible as the first (see #10 above). Read them...you won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment? Leave a comment!