Wednesday, July 20, 2011

#56-58



#56 The Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray (Gemma Doyle series book Three)

The Gemma Doyle conclusion! Overall, I enjoyed this trilogy, but had a tough time getting through this last book. The storyline was fun and complex and perfectly followed the end of the second book, but I felt some parts of the story really dragged on. I found myself putting the book down and thinking, "Can we just finish this already?" But, I do hate to give the book a bad name. I am very glad I read it and certainly would have felt incomplete had I not finished this last book in the series.

#57 Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella

Must admit...did not actually read this one. I listened to it on CD during a trip across Texas. It was perfect for that! As Sophie Kinsella books are, it was light-hearted, fun, humorous and a sweet ending. Exactly what I was looking for.

Lara Lington's great-aunt Sadie has passed away and she must attend her funeral. She has never met her great-aunt and is wrapped up in her recent breakup to really care. But while at the funeral, Lara meets Sadie. No, Lara isn't going crazy, Sadie's ghost appeals to Lara asking about her necklace. Once Lara comes to terms with seeing and hearing a ghost, she learns of Sadie's incredible story of living through the 20s and even does some 20s living herself.

This was a great summer read! Fun, easy, breezy!

#58 Paper Towns by John Green

Quentin Jacobsen has loved Margo Roth Spiegelman his whole life...but she doesn't know it. Ever since they were kids, he has been fascinated by her adventurous spirit and wild ways. When she climbs in his window one night asking him to join her for a car ride, the real adventure begins. Q begins to see a bit more of the real Margo. When Margo goes missing, Q finds clues to try to piece together her location. The clues and the journey he embarks upon bring him more than he could've asked for.

This was my first John Green book. I have a friend who absolutely raves about his work, so I decided to try it out myself. He is an incredible writer...my friend was right on! He is witty, smart, so clever, funny, and so very creative. He weaved a tight storyline and it was fun to go along with Q while he found these crazy, obscure clues looking for Margo. I didn't care for Margo at times though. She seemed as if she believed the world revolved around her and didn't watch out for people's feelings. And the ending was so-so (but I like a nicely wrapped, happy ending which doesn't always fit a good book). I completely enjoyed the book though and will be looking for more John Green in the future. Highly recommended friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment? Leave a comment!