Sunday, May 15, 2011

#46-47



#46 Trapped by Michael Northrop


Where is the absolute worst place you can imagine to be stuck during the worst snowstorm on record? Yep...you got it. A high school. Scotty and a couple of his friends arrive at school just like every other day, but soon the snow begins and doesn't stop. They don't have a way home like nearly every other student in the school, so they stay along with a teacher and a few other students. The snow continues for days, trapping them inside. The pipes begin to freeze, the heat goes out, the roof begins to creak and moan with the weight of the snow, and the kids have to do anything they can to survive.

I mostly enjoyed this one. The idea of being stuck in a school with no way out is pretty horrible and the events between the kids struggling to survive are really pretty interesting. The ending bothered me. It was so abrupt and a bit of a letdown after so much buildup and drama. I wouldn't say, "Don't read this one," but if there are other books on your nightstand, read those first.

#47 Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult

The name "Jodi Picoult" in my book is synonymous with "Must Read." Her latest title is no exception. Critics would argue that her books are not works of art and will not turn into classical literature, but if you want a compelling and gut-wrentching read, there is no one better. I do have to put forth a warning. If you have had experience with losing a child, especially due to miscarriage or stillbirth, this book may be too much to handle. (No, I'm not giving anything away, believe me). Having no children of my own, I think I can handle her books a little easier. I think it's why I always cry when reading a dog book, but can hold myself together with a Picoult book.

Zoe and Max have been desperately trying for nearly a decade to have a baby. After learning of their own fertility issues, they try alternative methods of conceiving, spending thousands and thousands of dollars on IVF and all different types of medical treatments. When Zoe delivers a stillborn baby at 28 weeks, their marriage crumbles and they divorce. Zoe meets a guidance counselor named Vanessa and they become instant best friends. Vanessa helps Zoe cope with the loss of yet another child and a marriage. Zoe and Vanessa fall in love and decide to marry, having to leave their home state to do so legally. The two decide they want to have a child together, but quickly face opposition from Max due to religious and financial reasons.

I love love love that Picoult doesn't shy away from hot button issues. I love that she tells stories from different perspectives, as she does again in this book, and I love that when I read one of her books, I want to talk about it with someone. This would make a fabulous book club read. This book had a unique feature, a CD. Picoult co-wrote the lyrics with the singer and the music adds another layer to the already complex story.

Highly recommended reading from me to you. But as stated, her books require a total investment from the reader. You have to begin knowing you'll be giving your time and emotion to the plot. If you're up for it, have at it! And please let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment? Leave a comment!