Wednesday, March 9, 2011

#36-37


#36 Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness (Book three Chaos Walking trilogy)


"'War makes monsters of men, you once said to me, Todd. Well, so does too much knowledge. Too much knowledge of your fellow man, too much knowledge of his weakness, his pathetic greed and vanity, and how laughably easy it is to control him.'"

Well, I finally made it to the end. I feel like I've run a marathon and I'm not sure how to put my experience into words. Admittedly, this book was more difficult for me to get through than the other two, but not because I had lost interest in the storyline or characters. In fact, the book became more complex, dealing with more obscure characters and "sci-fi" (NOT syfy) situations. I had to slow down and read with caution.

The New World war continues, but this time the Spackle organize against the humans to avenge their murdered comrades. A group of new settlers arrives and the Mayor of the town struggles even more with the ceaseless Noise while both Todd and Viola are forced to make decisions that will change the course of the human race. I feel like I can't say much without giving things away!

If you're in for a rollercoaster ride, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

#37 If I Stay by Gayle Forman

Mia is a 17 year-old cellist from a close, musical family. She and her family are in a horrible car accident leaving her in a coma and her family gone. As her mangled body lays in a hospital room, Mia is fully aware of her surroundings and is walking around the hospital watching herself and her family. (Think Ghost but without the ability to move cans and smash cigarette cases). As she learns of the seriousness of her condition, she also has to make the decision to fight for her life or succumb to the peacefulness of death.

A strong story with gorgeous writing. Very poetic and beautiful and I can see how this book could help young people dealing with loss. Mia remembers the memories of her family and wants to dwell in the past, but she also knows that she has a family still alive and waiting for her to wake up. A powerful read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment? Leave a comment!