Sunday, January 23, 2011

#29-31

#29 Shakespeare Makes the Playoffs by Ron Koertge


After reading Koertge's first book about Kevin and his dealings with mono, girls, poetry and baseball, I had to know what happened to him next. So glad I read this little book. Koertge continues his work with verse and Kevin keeps experimenting with poetic types. In this story, Kevin has to choose between his girlfriend Mira and a new girl named Amy, another poet dedicated to the craft just as much as Kevin. He meets Amy at an open mic poetry night his Dad brings him to and is instantly enthralled by Amy's free spirit and poetic talent. They begin emailing poems back and forth while Kevin tries to sort out his feelings for her. A sweet story with some incredible lines. I even used one of the poetry verses as my Facebook status. Now that's serious.

#30 The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson (Book 2 Millenium series)


What can I say about this novel? What can't I say? It's awesome! Lisbeth Salander is once again the focus of this story, but in a very different situation. After saving Mikael's life and pulling off an incredible heist, Lisbeth Salander all but disappears, much to Mikael's chagrin. After numerous attempts to contact her, Mikael believes her to be out of his life forever, until he sees her being attacked on the street one night. Not only is someone trying to kill her, she's a suspect in three murders, including two of Mikael's friends writing for Millenium in an attempt to expose a sex-trafficing operation. As Lisbeth attempts to keep herself safe, she has to face up to her sordid past and Mikael has to decide how far he should go to help an old friend. Will he be able to return the favor she did for him? I highly recommend reading on to find out.

Just bought the last book in the series, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, for my Kindle. Only $9.99! Can't wait to get started! I have to find out what happens to Lisbeth!

#31 The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite
by Dr. David Kessler, M.D.

Okay friends, I did cheat just a little bit with this book. I didn't actually read it. I listened to it on my way to and from work. It was enlightening to say the least; it was scary to say the most. If one of your loves is going out to eat, maybe steer clear of this book. It reveals a disturbing side of the food industry and what companies do to hook you into going back for more and more and more. A lot of the book is based on brain research and I found that fascinating. I think my colleagues got sick of me coming to lunch with stories starting with the line, "In this book I'm listening to..." I had no idea how powerful food was, but understand now why it's so hard to "just eat one." The food habits we have trained our brain into believing often keep us from making good food choices. The structure of your brain can actually be changed with food. Yeah! It's that powerful!

1 comment:

  1. I really want to read this book about overeating! I think it would help me with my food addiction, haha. AND I am dying to read The Girl That Kicked the Hornet's Nest now because I stayed up all night last night finishing the second book. How could he end it like that? AHHH!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Have a comment? Leave a comment!